Thursday, August 8, 2013

Why I love honeymoons!!

Whew, it's been a while since I've been here. I'm pretty sure I warned my reader that I am a serial non-blogger. The only time I was ever consistent with a blog was *cough* Xanga *cough* which a good friend of mine and I were just talking about the other day....coincidentally. Anyway, those Xanga days were my college days. The not-married-without-kids days. I had *not* a lot to do. Though I thought I had a lot to do, but I just didn't know yet that I didn't actually have a lot to do. :)

So why am I here again? Oh, yeah, honeymoons. So I love honeymoons! I love that people go on honeymoons. I actually ask every couple that I talk to about marriage (which is actually a lot these days) where they are going for their honeymoon and how long they will be gone. I do this because I feel strongly that honeymoons are VITAL to marriage. Ok, well, maybe not, like, deal-breaker vital, but whatever. I like them. Lately my news feed on the Book of Face is flooded with honeymoon pictures! Sugary, exotic, throw-up-a-little-in-your-mouth honeymoon pictures. And, truly, it's awesome. Because couples need honeymoons. Honeymoons give that little space of time, a week or a few days, or two weeks if resources allow, to live in an imaginary world where you are both perfect. Perfectly in love! Everything each of you do is still adorable to each other. Even if you've been with that person long enough for things to *not* be adorable, it's like you revert back to adorable land, wherever that is. You get to be excited and ridiculous and no one can say crap about it. Because you're on your honeymoon, for goodness sake! The world is beautiful! Everyone you tell about your recent marriage gives you gooey eyes and big smiles. They do this for one of two reasons: one) they're single and think the whole marriage/honeymoon thing is super awesome and they can't wait to get into it themselves or two) they know that this is that sweet spot.... and they know what comes next. They know that honeymoons end. That these two doe-eyed love birds are about to enter the real world, and that they actually have no idea what they've just gotten themselves into. Marriage.

One thing my husband always says is that if people spent as much time preparing for the marriage as they do for the wedding more marriages would last. I think that's true. Because marriage is hard. I know, groundbreaking stuff. Truly, though. We don't really talk about how hard marriage is. Or at least, we don't talk about it in a constructive way. There are plenty of people who complain about marriage. And that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the hard that makes you better. The hard that you don't run from or resent, but that you work through and grow from. It really is a beautiful thing. That two people can start out two, and through the process of hurting each other and loving each other and hurting again and loving again, can tear and then build oneness. So that the end product is one. Hurt is a part of every relationship. Even your perfect match is flawed and will hurt you.... sometimes intentionally... mostly unintentionally. And you'll do the same. But it's the humility and love through the pain that heals those hurts, that makes us better to each other.

Before all of that, though, is the honeymoon. And, all joking aside, it's a special thing. Whether it's spent in an exotic location or just in your own new place together, cherish your new love. And get ready for what comes next: great love. Love that's foundation isn't a ring or words said at a ceremony, but love built on kept promises and relinquished rights, layed down for the sake of each other and of Christ. So to any of my newlywed friends that might read this: I love you all and I'm so happy for you! I'm happy for your present and your future! If you listen to your First Love and follow Him down the path of love that gives itself away, your future will be "more than you could ever ask or imagine."

No comments:

Post a Comment